IIn my earlier incarnation as a sports activities columnist in Augusta, Georgia, I began every year with a forecast column. He normally summarizes the successes* and failures of the earlier calendar 12 months earlier than venturing into the unknown a brand new sports activities season would possibly carry. It was probably the most enjoyable pointless endeavors of the 12 months however at all times a superb dialog starter after the vacations.
* Whereas there have been a surprisingly excessive variety of good guesses among the many many errors in practically 20 years of annual forecasts, the high-water mark got here getting ready to 2004 as the expected column: Phil Mickelson’s comeback from his worst profession season lastly broke his grand maiden on the Masters ; The Boston Purple Sox break an 86-year-old curse by successful the World Sequence; Newly resigned Washington Redskins head coach Steve Spurrier opted to return to school soccer later that 12 months for the South Carolina Gamecocks. In the event you spend some money in Vegas on this unlikely trifecta.
Golf has treaded in uncharted waters over the previous 12 months, because the LIV Golf turmoil continues to ship waves of turmoil throughout the skilled and prime novice scene. The PGA Tour has realigned its schedule components to attempt to get a grip on the sport’s highest rating. LIV CEO Greg Norman guarantees extra disruption. Lawsuits stay pending. It looks like a superb time to do away with the crystal ball and attempt to perceive what the sport would possibly carry our means in 2023. So listed here are daring predictions for what guarantees to be one other bumpy golf season:
- One other handful of gamers will signal their aggressive spirits away from Saudi Riches earlier than LIV’s first full golf season will get underway in February, however the departures will not be practically as excessive as a few of the high-profile names departing in 2022. The loss might be Mito Pereira of Chile. Colombia’s Sebastian Muñoz will add to the South American squad. Regardless of persistent rumours, there will not be main defections like Patrick Cantlay, Hideki Matsuyama, Xander Schauffele or Victor Hovland – at the very least not this 12 months.
- LIV Golf will maintain a five-day listening to in early February to resolve the destiny of the DP World Tour suspension and fines for departing members that have been suspended by a UK courtroom final summer time. It’s troublesome to check jurisprudence within the UK versus the US, but when there’s any actual justice, the Euro Tour might be given the correct to use its personal guidelines and penalties because it sees match and stop LIV golfers from wrecking their programs.
- LIV will purchase its means into some type of TV association. It’s crucial for the mannequin to develop, and absolutely some main community or streaming service (Fox? Amazon?) is prepared to take the Saudis’ cash to air a few of David Weherty’s pranks.
- As a karmic hitter for the farce (in hindsight) that occurred on the 150 Open Championship at St Andrews, the golf gods will lastly give Rory McIlroy a run by successful the Augusta Nationwide in a duel with Cam Smith.
- It’ll be a giant 12 months for the Euros on the principle levels, with John Rahm (PGA Championship at Oak Hill) and Tommy Fleetwood (British Open at Holick) becoming a member of McIlroy as winners and Victor Hovland taking the Gamers Championship. America’s solely main winner might be Will Zlatoris on the US Open in Los Angeles.
- Nevertheless, Group USA would defeat the Street Devils and decide up a victory for captain Zack Johnson within the Ryder Cup in Italy – 16-12. The American workforce is just too deep to fail.
- The European women gained the Solheim Cup for the third time in a row – 14½ – 13½.
- Lydia Ko wins one other main match within the strategy of crossing the brink of the LPGA Corridor of Fame and retires on the finish of the LPGA season to grow to be World No. 1.
- Michael Thorbjornsen beats Gordon Sargent to win the heavyweight title combat in opposition to the US Newbie in Cherry Hills. Rose Zhang gained the U.S. Girls’s Newbie in a house recreation at Bel Air Stadium.
- With Honda exiting after 42 years because the title sponsor of the Florida Swinging Tour occasion, the 2023 Honda Basic would be the final on the PGA Nationwide. If that is the case, the Valspar Championships in Innisbrook might take over the late-February date with the Houston Open returning to common season rotation after the Gamers Championship. Davis Love III’s RSM Basic at Sea Island might be a serious common season contender if anything opens up.
- Tiger Woods will play and win in three majors at Augusta, Los Angeles CC and Hoylick. He’ll skip the PGA Championship this 12 months in Oak Hill. He would go on to win the PIP bowl as a result of even small doses of Tiger transfer the needle like nobody else can.
- OWGR will current LIV Golf with an ultimatum: at the very least chip 36 holes otherwise you will not get the world rating factors. That is one space the place LIV would possibly need to bend over, reducing the person leaderboard all the way down to 30 or so whereas everybody else continues to play for the workforce element.
- Patrick Reed’s frivolous lawsuit in opposition to choose members of the media might be ridiculed – however not earlier than Reid provides me to the checklist for merely saying this. I hope he might be required to pay any courtroom prices for each one who has harassed him due to his unsubstantiated allegations.
- First-time Tour winners this season will embody Cameron Younger, Saith Thigala, Davis Riley, Callum Taryn, Hayden Buckley, Grayson Sieg and two of the Taylors: Pendreth and Montgomery.
- This 12 months’s Scotty Scheffler, who turned from a winless end to No. 1 within the sub-50s final season, might be Kam Younger. As soon as he breaks his boys, he’ll add a number of wins earlier than 2023 is out.
- Rickie Fowler is again with a PGA Tour win.
- Assuming I used to be proper about Xander Schauffele’s dedication to the PGA Tour, he might be rewarded with a FedEx Cup title on the finish of the season.
- Neither Phil Mickelson nor Bryson DeChambeau will win a LIV Sequence occasion. Their competitiveness is in dire straits: cash for nothing.
© 2023 International Golf Submit LLC