Literary Literature announced the finalists for the 2023 Oregon Book Awards on the morning of Tuesday, January 24. A panel of judges from outside Oregon selected 34 titles from across the state, highlighted in the categories of fiction, poetry, nonfiction, creative nonfiction, children’s literature, YA, and drama. In addition, this year’s awards include two literary legacy awards, honoring Pulitzer Prize-nominated poet Gary Miranda and celebrated children’s author Don Prochovnik.
Among the notables is Amy Lund, whose first novel, Boy with a sparrow in his country releasedAnd It discusses themes of interstitial space in society through the story of a boy navigating the challenges of living with a java bird in his chest. Dane Liu Biography Photo Book, Friends are friends forever It tells the story of the author’s emigration.
Emmy-nominated screenwriter and novelist John Raymond’s latest titles, denialAnd Stand to bring the author to him Second Ken Kesey Prize for Fiction.
Lydia Yuknevich to pusha time travel novel set in the year 2085, It could bring the Portland author her fourth Oregon Book Award. Casey Parks, once Oregonian The reporter now covers gender and the family’s issue Washington Post, She was nominated for her memoir/report on the story of gay history in the South The New York Times called “At once dewy and studious, capricious and generous, sympathetic and stern.”
Luke Burbank, host of the live public radio show Carrying electric wire and contributor to This American Life, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me, CBS Sunday Morning, and others, You will host the party.
7:30 – 9pm Monday 3rd April | Portland Center Theater at the Armory, $12-65.
Check out the full list of nominees below.
Ken Kesey Prize for Fiction
- Cyndia Bhanu of Corvallis, Finding Wealth Elsewhere: The Stories
- Kay Emmons from Eugene, sunken islands
- Amy Lund from Portland, The boy with a bird on his chest
- John Raymond of Portland denial
- Lydia Yoknavitch from Otis, to push
Stafford/Hall Poetry Prize
- Matthew Dickman in Portland, education
- Michelle Glazer from Portland, fretwork
- Janice Lee is from Portland Separation anxiety
- Amy Miller in Ashland, Astronauts
- Eric Tran from Portland, Mouth, sugar and smoke
Frances Fuller Victor Prize for Public Literature
- Anita Hanig in Portland, USA. The Day I Die: The Untold Story of America’s Assisted Dying
- Lauren Kessler in Eugene, Free: Two years, six lives, and a long trip home
- Leah Sutil in Portland, When the moon turns to blood
- Deb Fanas of Warrenton, Roaring Sea: Treachery, Obsession, and Alaska’s Most Valuable Wildlife
- David H. Wilson Jr. of Portland, North Paiutes of the Malheur: High Desert Reckoning in Oregon Country
Sarah Winnemucca Creative Fiction Award
- Laurie Easter from Portland, all crap
- Garrett Hongo from Eugene, Perfect Sound: Memoirs in Stereo
- Laura Lafayette in Portland, USA. Possums Run Amok: A True Tale Told Slant
- Casey Parks of Portland, Diary of a Misfit: A Memoir and Mystery
- Anne Stinson in Portland, The Land at My Feet: Preserving a Family and a Forest
Eloise Jarvis McGraw Prize for Children’s Literature
- Zoe Abbott in Portland, Pig, horse and bugaboo
- Kathy Camper in Portland, USA. Arabic Arab all year round!
- Dan Liu from Portland, Friends are friends forever
- Trudy Ludwig from Portland, Brave every day
- Kari Tillotson of Tigard, Counting to Bananas: The Mostly Fruit Book
Leslie Bradshaw Prize for Young Adult Literature
- Waka T Brown from West Linn, Dream, Annie, Dream
- Jonathan Case from Portland, Little Kings
- Suzanne Hill Long from Portland, USA. Take care and save Freddy
- Gene Reese from Portland, Every bird is a prince
- Sonya Thomas in Portland, Sir Fig Newton and the Science of Consistency
Angus Bomer Drama Award
- Sarah Jean Accordi in Portland, USA. The narrator.. the storyteller
- Louis from the Monitor, Dorothy Dictionary
- Rich Rubin from Portland, Russian troll
- C.S. Whitcomb of Wilsonville, Acting Consultant
Stewart H Holbrook Literary Legacy Award
- Gary Miranda from Portland
Literary Heritage Award for Young Readers Walt Murray
- Dawn Bruchovnik Portland